Thursday, October 11, 2007

The mathematics of breastfeeding


If I hadnt chosen to breast feed Kaelyn, I guess I would have breezed through motherhood and really enjoy my 5 months maternity leave (ha, like real). But since I have decided to go down this path due to all its benefits (contains all the required nutrition for baby, bonding, blah blah....), I'd very much like to get it right and make it less tiring and 'painful' for me..

I've gotten the latch on to work and the supply seems to be sufficient for the time being, but I am beginning to have doubts today. So far, so good. But I cant seem to figure out the mathematics of it:

Equation 1: Amt expressed w/o latch on - Amt expressed after latch on = Amt baby drank

I usually express about 4oz without latch on. Managed to get about 1oz after feeding. That would mean she only drank 3oz right? But it cant be cos that would not be sufficient for her to go through to her next feed. I usually give her 4 - 4.5oz via bottle to last for the same duration.

Equation 2: Amount expressed = Amount available for baby to drink if latch on

Sometimes I only manage to express 3.5oz when Kaelyn's needs 4.5oz. That would mean my supply is insufficient to meet her needs right? But when I latch her on, she manages to get by until the next feeding and I can even express perhaps 0.5 - 1oz.

Equation 3: Amt of time taken to finish 4oz via bottle = Amt of time taken to drink 4oz via bf

Kaelyn usually takes 20 - 30 mins to finish her bottle. But via direct breastfeed, the timings can range from just 15 mins on 1 breast to 30mins each on both breasts! How can that be?? Does it mean that both times the amount she drank are the same, depending on how hungry and sleepy she is? But that's way too wide a gap..

The equations above dont seem to be right. Maybe Theresa is right, I cant put my accounting cap on for this. But if babies feed more efficiently on the breasts than on bottles, then how do I explain the hour-long feeding sessions with Kaelyn?

Still trying to figure out how breastfeeding works.. Perhaps my supply is really not sufficient for her? Perhaps my pump is not efficient enough? Perhaps she was having a growth spurt? Perhaps she fell asleep and was just using my breast as a pacifier? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.....

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Hi hi :) Yes, mathematics dont work for breastfeeding, always see if baby is satisfied, that is the gauge when it comes to feeding direct. They will stop on their own.

As she gets older, she will get more efficient feeding from the breasts and thus time spent will be shorter. However, if you find her latching on for long - then maybe sometimes she is using you like a pacifier :) Try to stop her when she does that.

Lastly, pumps. If you really really want pumping out to really work, then u need to get a Medela Pump-In-Style. I am using the Advanced version, and boy, this is the most I have ever had.

Now I have 400 bottles of milk in the freezer - no kidding. Like 50litres now? I just got the PISA during Soph's time and I really did regret not getting it during K's time as the cost was a hindrance and what more, I had bot the same pump u had after good reviews from a friend.

There is no doubt the PISA works the best. I have used 3 other pumps, including the hospital grade Lactina and yet this is the best. You can find it for $600 when they have a promotion. Or if you dont mind, get a 2nd hand set (that is rarely used) for $300.

It seriously work wonders.

:) Hehehe, my take as usual :) But really, good job for persevering and making it work so well so far! :) Hang in there and enjoy her growing up!

Ernie said...

Sometimes Kaelyn doesnt stop after 45 mins! She seems to be drinking and swallowing the whole time..

Does the PIS really pump out more milk than the Electric plus? If so, I dun mind investing in one, maybe a second hand one. Got to search the motherhood forums to see who's selling. Or you have a better place to buy 2nd hands? U mean there are 2 versions of PIS, one normal and one advance?