Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kaelyn goes to Child care - Part 1

When I first started nursery many many years back, I was one of those kids who screamed and cried non stop for the first few weeks of school. I remember my mum told me that the principal had to carry me around to pacify me, but I just kept kicking and screaming. And the principal was actually pregnant at that time! I dont remember all these myself but I can imagine the pains that the principal, teachers, my grandma and parents went through trying to settle me in nursery.

Now, almost thirty years later, it's my turn to experience placing my daughter through child care for the first time. We had enrolled her for full day but only starting her on half day only to slowly settle her in. I took leave on the first day to accompany her. As usual, she didnt join the other kids in the activities and either wandered around the compounds on her own, or stayed by my side. There was once when she actually joined them for an activity, and I thought 'ok, that's a good start'. She didnt cry at all on the first day since I am there the whole time with her. But I realise that most of the kids in her class are much more independent and 'easier' to look after than our princess Kaelyn.

For 1, she is a very very slow and fussy eater. Breakfast was cereal and milk. While the other kids fed themselves and finished rather quickly, she was still slowly picking out the 'honey stars' one by one. I could actually count the number of honey stars she ate, and she refused to eat the cornflakes. Lunch was bee hoon soup, with some chicken, carrot, vege and fishcake. Most of the kids fed themselves and finished their food rather quickly, while the rest needed help from the teacher to help them finish their portion. One girl even asked for seconds. Our dear Kaelyn was scooping her bee hoon and eating them almost strand by strand. Even with my help, she barely finished half of the portion, and that took twice as long as the rest!


Secondly, she's not toilet trained. We tried at home but she just refused to use the toilet or potty. Some of the other kids could just inform the teacher that they needed the toilet and just went off on their own. I'm impressed!

Well, I guess each child is different. Hope she picks up all the good things from school!

No comments: