Monday, July 25, 2011

Hectic week - an overdue post from July

This has been sitting in my draft for several months - since July but only officially posted in Nov / Dec.

It has been a super duper hectic week for me. I am on 2 weeks leave because my helper of 4 years is leaving us, and I have a new helper in. My parents and mother in law are on holiday, and David is studying for an exam. That leaves only me to settle all maid matters, ferry Kaelyn to and from school, play with Sherryn, prepare for Kaelyn's birthday celebration (which is coming up soon)... I am bushed!

Among the hustle and bustle, I had a minor accident - I knocked my right side mirror into the back of a truck. Had to spend the entire morning getting it fixed, while having Sherryn with me and in the midst of settling new helper documents and old helper's leaving papers..

Then on the day our old helper is to leave for Philippines, Kaelyn and I sent her to the airport. We said our goodbyes at the departure gate. But the maid took a long while to clear customs and eventually was accompanied out by an Immigration officer to look for me. The lady was very stern when questioning whether I was her employer and was almost interrogating me on why I hadnt informed MOM on my maid's departure etc. My maid had asked for a transfer to another household (as she initially didnt want to look after kids and wanted everyweek off etc) and we got an agent to arrange for the transfer. Had her work permit extended for another month to bridge the new maid's arrival as well. But didnt know we had to inform MOM if we were to send her back within the one month extension period.

Hence had to ferry the maid back home, to the amazement of David and the new maid, quarrel with the agency and asked then to compensate for the air tickets etc. But eventually she managed to go back home for 2 weeks after starting 1 week at the new employer's place.

For the next few weeks / months, we will have to start from scratch again training the new maid - who doesnt look as bright as the previous one. But we will see.

An update in Nov - Kids took to previous maid's departure very well and are very comfortable with the new maid already. At least one concern out of the way. But as I mentioned, new maid is not as bright and doesnt think out of the box. But at least she is generally good to the kids.

No comments: