Saturday, December 13, 2008

A very good friend's wedding

I attended a very good friend's wedding 2 weeks ago. I've known her for about 13 years now, being in the same JC, university and first job. I'm really happy for her to have found such a great husband. I dont know him well, having met him only once before the wedding. But from the brief conversations, the church ceremony etc, I know he's going to be great husband.

I remember my own wedding more than 5 years ago (OMG, has it been that long already?!), she took a day off work to help us out during our wedding shot for the wedding album. She was also my 'personal assistant' on my actual wedding day itself, and helped me a lot on the preparations. I'll never forget that..

Yet, on her wedding 5 years after, I was not able to reciprocate the gesture. What I can give her is my sincere blessings and share in her joy. I did not even have the chance to get her a decent wedding gift, or tell her truly how happy I was for her. She being stationed overseas and me being tied up with my family and work here were the main reasons.. Now thinking back, I think I was really terrible as a friend.

But I know she will not put this to heart, definitely not. That's the best thing about good old friends. You may not see or speak to each other for a long time, but when you do, you are never at a loss for words. And you still know how each other thinks or feels.

So, I attended the wedding just like any other guest. It was a slightly different wedding from the others I have attended, not just because she was a good friend. But I remember being touched several times by the pastor's and the groom's speeches. There were a few moments when I felt tears welling up in my eyes, and memories of my own wedding and images of my small family of 3 flashed across my mind. I dont know why I have suddenly become so emotional, given that I did not even feel this way on my own wedding! Must be due to child birth (at least that's what I attribute to all the changes I went through over the past year...).

Congratulations once again. All the best, and we will still continue to be in touch..

No comments: