Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A day in Kaelyn's life.. and mine as well

It has been 8.5 weeks since I delivered Kaelyn. Time really flies. When I look back at how I have spent my last 2 months, I realised I have only been bathing, feeding, changing nappies for our little princess. Whatever spare time in between will be spent bathing and feeding myself and sleeping. Occasionally I do have the luxury of checking my emails and posting blogs. Also, the only times I step out of the house is to go for my checkups, bring Kaelyn to the clinic, go to parents' homes...

It sounds very boring here, but time just whizzed by before I could really feel it. This is how we spend our day:
  • Between 6 and 8 am: Awaken by Kaelyn's cries. She's either hungry (which is the most likely reason), really wet and wanting a change of nappies, or just calling someone over to talk to her.
  • By 9am: She would have been fed. Plays for around half to one hour. This is the best time to bring out the flash cards and teach her whatever I want.
  • Bathes between 9 - 10am. Offer her gripe water and some warm water.
  • 10 - 11 am: She may nap for a short while. This is when I can catch up on my sleep - but usually not long.
  • 10.30 - 11.30am: 2nd feed 3 hours after the first. After which is lunch time for me.
  • By 12 noon: Kaelyn is supposed to have her lunchtime nap of 2 hours but she always cannot get past an hour. My maid and I would have to take turns either talking to her or carrying her around the house.
  • 1.30 - 2.30pm: 3rd feed.
  • 2.30 - 4.30pm: I try to put her to sleep again since she didnt have enough of her lunchtime nap. Sometimes she can sleep for as long as 2.5 hours, but most times, she just managed half an hour at most. So will have to either play with her, talk to her or carry her around to appease the princess.
  • By 5pm: 4th feed.
  • By 6pm: Clean her and change her clothes.
  • By 8pm: 5th feed. This and the subsequent feeds are the most difficult as she would struggle and bawl at the feedings. She'll have lots of wind in her stomach. So most of the nights are spent struggling to calm her down.
  • By 11pm: The last feed of the daytime.
  • In the night between 12 and 6am: She'll wake up once for a feed, no fixed timing.
  • The time she wakes up for the midnight feed will determine her wake up time in the morning.
And then the cycle starts again......

This routine is really far from ideal. I'm still trying out variations of Gina Ford's routine in her book 'The new contented little baby book'. Hopefully I can get something to work for Kaelyn, even if we bring her out.

No comments: